What is the Gospel?
At our church, you will hear the word “gospel” repeatedly because it is the most important truth that we can know and experience.
The gospel is not merely a message that needs to be shared with non-Christians, but also with Christians. It is not something that mature Christians move on from, but rather something that they move deeper into. The gospel is the lens in which we should view theology, ministry, and all aspects of life.
The Apostle Paul defined the word “gospel” concisely in 1st Corinthians 15:3-5 when he wrote, “Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.”
Simply put, the gospel is all about Jesus’ life, death and resurrection, and the implications it has for us. We use the acronym FAITH to present the gospel as it has been clearly presented in Scripture.
God's forgiveness is only in Jesus. Every person has sinned and needs God's forgiveness.
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" -- Romans 3:23
"In Him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace" -- Ephesians 1:7
God's forgiveness is available for all, but God's forgiveness is not automatic.
"For God so loved the world in this way: He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." -- John 3:16
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in Heaven." -- Matthew 7:21
It is impossible for us to get to heaven on our own.
"For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift-not from works, so that none can boast." -- Ephesians 2:8-9
To turn means to repent - to turn away from sin and self - and to turn toward Jesus as Lord and Savior.
"But unless you repent, you will all perish as well!" -- Luke 13:3
"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." -- John 14:6
Heaven is a place where we will live with God forever, and it can begin now with Jesus.
"If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receive you to myself, so that where I am you may be also." -- John 14:3
"I have come that they may have life and have it in abundance." -- John 10:10
What are our values?
- We value the teaching and preaching of God's word that brings life transformation.
- We value worship that offers the believer opportunities to examine, express, and elevate their love for Christ.
- We value prayer as a means of sharing our cares with Christ.
- We value carrying the gospel to people everywhere.
- We value giving the resources of our time, talents, and tithes to see ministries and missions expanded to the ends of the earth.
- We value world and local missions and demonstrate this commitment through prayer for our missionaries, giving to the cooperative program, and rallying volunteers to serve on mission trips.
What does it mean that we are a Baptist Church?
- We believe that the Bible is the sufficient, clear, authentic, and necessary inspired Word of God.
- We believe that the church is an autonomous body, with the government vested in the local body.
- We believe that every believer has soul competency to go before God through Jesus and not through any other intermediary. As believers we are also responsible to search the Scriptures, practice spiritual disciplines, and to exercise our spiritual gifts as believers in the local body.
- We believe that every member of the local church should practice tithing to support God's work in and through the body.
- We believe in the baptism of believers in water as a symbol of the death and resurrection of Christ and the sign that a person has become a believer.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells every believer at the time of conversion. He guides, teaches, convicts, comforts, encourages, empowers, and gives specific gifts. Believers ought to be filled with the Spirit, daily yielding control to him, living obediently to the Word and walking in the Spirit.
- We believe that it is the responsibility of every Christian and every church to give away what we've been gifted - the life changing message that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior.